A continuation from our previous post. Here are our top 5 money making scifi-fantasy films of 2012 prediction.
1. Batman: The Dark Knight Rises: Easily the most anticipated film of the year, The Dark Knight Rises follows Christopher Nolan’s Batman: The Dark Knight, which became the most successful single Batman film of all time. The Dark Knight’s success was propelled by Heath Ledger’s superb take on The Joker (maybe to a small extent, his death) and an excellent script and direction by Nolan. The Dark Knight Rises does not have a known name opposite Christian Bale like Heath Ledger, nor a well known villain like The Joker, outside of fanboy’s knowledge. However, it does have the entire core back, plus an intriguing villain in Bane, and of course, supreme hype behind it. In theaters July 20, 2012.
2. John Carter of Mars: Our gutsiest call. Disney is betting huge on John Carter of Mars. For Disney to allot $250 million on a film title with no previous history nor popularity outside of hardcore science fiction readers, Disney is either crazy or pretty certain that this film is another James Cameron type Avatar. Even if it’s one third (heck 1/5) of Avatar , it will still be hugely successful. Reading up on the story, film and watching the trailer, this does have the Avatar feel. Will people connect with the film and the characters? We think it’ll be just enough, with little competition, to put this film as the second biggest scifi/fantasy money maker of 2012. In theaters March 9, 2012
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: Easily one of the top few most anticipated films of 2012 is The Hobbit. This film follows the adventures or journey of Bilbo Baggins, Frodo’s uncle, during his younger days. The Hobbit will give Lord of The Rings fan another visit to Middle Earth on screen, and there are a ton of them. This might even be more kid friendly than Lord of The Rings, widening it’s audience, and thus, raking in enough money as the top three scifi/fantasy money maker of 2012. In theaters December 14, 2012
4. Men In Black 3: Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are back as the polar opposite secret Government operatives in Men In Black 3 after a 10 year hiatus since Men in Black 2. A lot has changed since then with filming technologies and graphics. Maybe that’s why the studios decided to churn out another Men in Black movie. I think it’s the right choice, and if Will Smith is still the lovable Will Smith of old in the previous movies, we might see more Men In Black movies in the future. Since I’m betting that Will Smith will still have his charm and star power, barring a complete PR nightmare, this movie should be number 4 as the biggest money maker of 2012. In theaters May 25, 2012
5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2: What’s amazing about the Twilight series is, it feels more like a TV show, but yet hauling in huge amounts of money in the theaters. And fairly cheap to make considering a franchise of this magnitude. When a franchise has devoted fans and the pop culture audience that this film targets, it seems as if it’s hard to fail. Breaking Dawn 2 is the last in a series of the Twilight Saga. In theaters November 16, 2012
What would be your top 10 or even top 5 scifi or fantasy movie money makers?
Please don’t forget to Comment or Share this.
Vote for your top 2012 scifi-fantasy movie!
Which of These Movies Are You Most Excited About in 2012?
- The Avengers (33%, 59 Votes)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Rises (24%, 43 Votes)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (18%, 32 Votes)
- Prometheus (10%, 18 Votes)
- The Hunger Games (4%, 7 Votes)
- John Carter of Mars (3%, 6 Votes)
- Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2 (3%, 6 Votes)
- The Amazing Spider Man (3%, 6 Votes)
- Battleship (1%, 2 Votes)
- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 177